I lecture at the University of Portsmouth’s School of Criminology and Criminal Justice (SCCJ). Prior to this, I served for nearly 20 years in the UK police service, most recently as a detective specializing in criminal investigations. I am involved in a range of research and teaching activities within economic crime, organised crime and criminology.
My research focuses on illicit offshore finance, corporate transparency, and anti-money laundering control. I am intrigued with money laundering: understanding its criminal characteristics, the methods money launderers use, and how governments and regulatory bodies attempt to control it.
- Licentiate of The Royal Photographic Society, 2001.
- BSc (Hons) Biochemistry, University of Sussex, 2003.
- Associate of The Royal Photographic Society, 2017.
- Accredited Counter Fraud Technician, University of Portsmouth, 2018.
- Accredited Counter Fraud Specialist, University of Portsmouth, 2018.
- MSc Counter Fraud and Counter Corruption, University of Portsmouth, 2019.
- Certified Fraud Examiner, Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, 2019.
- Associate Fellow of Advance HE, 2021.
I am currently completing my PhD by prior publication, which focuses on secrecy and the challenges of combating economic crime.
- Economic crime.
- Anti-money laundering control.
- Offshore finance.
- Money laundering and tax evasion.
- Tax havens.
- Beneficial ownership transparency.
- Fraud investigation.
- Organised crime.
- Financial investigations into wildlife crime.
- Forensic imaging techniques in criminal investigations.
I welcome proposals for research supervision in the above subject areas.
I teach and assess the following modules:
- Economic Crime and Fraud Examination.
- Money Laundering.
- The Development of Counter Fraud.
- Understanding Criminology.
- Essential Skills for Criminologists.
- Criminal Justice.
- Policing: Communities, Intelligence and Information.
- Policing: Law, Policy and Practice.
- Organised Crime.
- Intelligence Analysis.
- Managing Intelligence.
- Management of Criminal Investigations.
I have made media appearances on radio and for national television, and am available to speak on areas of economic crime and policing.