Moving UP Mentoring Programme
Schools and colleges
We're very excited to launch ‘Moving UP’, a mentoring programme for young people that have experience of care or who are estranged from their families.
We know that individual experiences of care impact people from all walks of life in many different ways. This programme looks to celebrate that richness of experience by matching care experienced university student mentors with care experienced or estranged students in year 12, or studying level 3 (year 1) courses.
Below, you can find out more on how the programme works, what's involved and how students can apply.
Hear about the programme, get an idea of what it involves and find out how to apply from Kim, one of our Outreach Coordinators.
What is Moving UP?
- Moving UP aims to support personal development, as well as goal setting, pathway planning and exploring options
- Students will choose a mentor to work with for the duration of the programme and can pick the topics they would like to explore
- All of our mentors have similar, lived experiences of care or estrangement
- Students choose which topics they would like to work through with their mentor and when best suits them
How will it work?
Mentoring will take place online via a secure platform and will consist of both 1:1 and group sessions.
The programme launches in January 2021 and runs through to the end of term in July 2021.
Who can apply to take part?
Year 12 or Level 3 Year 1 students, with experience of care or estrangement.
Students do not have to meet the legal definition of a care leaver – they could be either currently looked after, previously looked after (for any time period) or estranged from their parents.
More information for you – 13 January 2021
Students, teachers, parents and carers are all welcome to come along to our drop-in information sessions on the 13 January to find out more and ask any questions.
There’s no need to pre-book, simply use the zoom information below to join at these times:
- 9.00-9.30am | Meeting ID: 829 5964 7605
- 12.30-1.00pm | Meeting ID: 824 7436 5850
- 4.00-4.30pm | Meeting ID: 881 3378 2947
More information for your students
Think you might have a student interested in our Moving UP programme? Download the flyer and information sheet below to share with them.
Applications close soon
Applications close on Wednesday 20 January 2021.
Any students interested in joining the programme must apply before this date.