Exercise for Cancer Care Short course
Exercise for Cancer Care
If you've already got a degree related to health and fitness and you want to become a specialist in using exercise for cancer care, this is the course is for you.
On this Exercise for Cancer Care short course, you'll get an understanding of how physical activity and medication can impact a cancer patient's lifestyle. You'll get advanced learning in exercise and cancer care that underpins the exercise and cancer rehabilitation instructor certification from CanRehab, that you'll get as part of the course.
Once you've completed the course, you'll be able to design, implement and evaluate physical activity programmes for people with cancer. You'll also be aware of practices that are safe, effective, based on current evidence and in accordance with the relevant clinical guidelines and national service frameworks.
- Mode of study: Blended direct contact and independent study
- Duration: 48 scheduled, 9 placement sessions and independent learning
- Start and end dates: email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest for future courses
- Credits: 30
- £1300 UK/EU/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students
- £2200 International Students (may be subject to annual increase)
What you'll experience
On this short course you'll cover:
- an understanding of the disease process and how it is managed
- physical activity and how this may influence the disease process
- the positive and negative aspects of physical activity on risk factors in cancer
- risks to the individual during exercise following cancer
- the potential effects of medications on exercise performance
- an understanding of the motivation and communication strategies for improving health behaviour in patients
How you'll be assessed
You'll be assessed in two ways:
- a professional practice portfolio, including a written case study of a virtual patient, a practical assessment of exercise tailoring and group management, and a multiple-choice theory test
- a written assessment
The course includes a course manual, an online learning environment and teaching materials.
When you've successfully completed the course, you'll receive certification as a Cancer Exercise Specialist.
This course is taught by lecturers and exercise specialists with experience in exercise and cancer, and you'll learn through pre-course online lectures, lecture-seminars and practical sessions.
Teaching sessions take place on Thursdays and Fridays for three weeks with attendance on two Saturdays.
To be eligible for this course, you'll need:
- a 2:1 honour degree, or equivalent, in a relevant subject
- a DBS check
- occupational health and statutory and mandatory training framework level 7
- English proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 7.0, with no component score below 6.5
How to book
This course has already been delivered.
To register you interest for future courses, please email email@example.com