Best Begins Scholarship
If you're on track for AAA in your A levels (or equivalent) and you've faced some challenges that other students haven't, we want to give you so much more than a place at university.
The Best Begins Scholarship means £5,000 to help you continue to excel at the University of Portsmouth. We want to support you to break through barriers and inspire your fellow students, as you develop skills, knowledge and experience that can take you anywhere you want to go in life.
There are many reasons why Portsmouth is a university where the UK's hardest working, most ambitious, high achieving students can thrive. We're known for our Gold rated teaching, commitment to student employability, and consistently high rankings for student satisfaction. With dedicated support for everything from housing and money, to academic success and mental wellbeing, Portsmouth is where a great future begins.
An exceptional student like you deserves a life-changing opportunity. Your best life begins at the University of Portsmouth.
Who can apply
This scholarship is designed for students who will benefit from it the most. To apply for this scholarship, you must be a UK student and:
1. Achieve at least AAA at A level or equivalent.
2. Live in one of the more deprived areas of the UK as defined by the Government’s Index of Multiple Deprivation (IMD).
- To find out if this applies to you, enter your postcode into this IMD tool – if your postcode is in deciles 1-4 then you qualify. Please note that this tool is for postcodes in England only.
3. Apply for a full time undergraduate course starting in Autumn 2022 by the 26 January 2022.
4. Receive an offer of a place to study at the University of Portsmouth and choose us as your firm choice by 9 June 2022.
5. Be willing to share your experiences of studying at Portsmouth to help encourage future students to progress onto university, such as talking to potential students at our Open Day.
How to apply
You'll need to apply for a place to study at the University of Portsmouth. If you're predicted AAA at A level or equivalent and we offer you a place on a course, we'll contact you if you're eligible with details on how to apply for this scholarship.
For this you'll need to complete a brief application to demonstrate how studying at the University of Portsmouth and being awarded this scholarship will prepare you for your future. You'll need to apply for this scholarship by 5.00pm on the 1 April 2022.
How will the scholarship be awarded?
Our Best Begins scholarships are limited and selection will be made by our scholarship panel.
Scholarship applications will be reviewed by our scholarship panel in April 2022. If you’re successful, you’ll be notified at the end of April and will then need to meet the criteria and grade requirements in order to receive the scholarship.
How will the scholarship be paid?
If you're selected to receive the scholarship, you'll receive £5,000 across the duration of your course.
You'll receive £3,000 in your first year followed by £1,000 in your second year and £1,000 in your final year. If you're studying a four year integrated Masters' degree, you'll receive £2,000 in your first year followed by £1,000 in your second, third and fourth years of study. Placement and study abroad years are excluded from payment. You'll need to obtain a 1st or 2:1 at the end of each year of your course in order to receive each year’s payment.
You'll be able to receive this scholarship in addition to other University of Portsmouth scholarships or bursaries that you're eligible for.
Applying to uni can seem complicated, so we've broken down the application process to make it easier for you. Discover all you need to know about applying for your course and what happens after you apply.