Find the earth sciences course for you
Study the planet we live on – how it was formed, how to manage disasters and solve the world's pressing problems
Earth sciences is the study of the Earth. Some Earth scientists investigate how the Earth and other planets formed, others explore energy and mineral resources, provide advice for safe construction, or study natural processes like volcanoes.
Professions in the Earth Sciences include palaeontologist, geologist, geotechnical engineer, engineering geologist and crisis and disaster management expert. Many Earth Scientists work in the field, but you can also use your knowledge as a consultant, laboratory technician or museum curator.
Undergraduate Earth Science courses
Postgraduate Earth Science courses
- Applied Science (Learning at Work) MA/MSc
- Coastal and Marine Resource Management MSc
- Crisis and Disaster Management MSc
- Engineering Geology MSc
- Environmental Geology and Land Contamination MSc
- Geological and Environmental Hazards MSc
- Geographical Information Systems MSc
- Professional Studies (Learning at Work) MA/MSc
- Science MRes
- Earth and Environmental Sciences MPhil and PhD
Why study Earth Sciences?
- Some of our Earth sciences courses have been running for more than 50 years. Our lecturers include experts with academic and industry experience.
- We have strong connections with industry - you could do a placement year with companies such as Leap Environmental, Mott MacDonald, or Enitial, and get valuable work experience ahead of graduating.
- Benefit from Portsmouth's location on the south coast with field trips to nearby areas such as the Jurassic Coast and the Isle of Wight, and overseas trips to Europe and Hong Kong.
The fieldwork aspect of the course was fantastic, it was both educational and social, as well as a great opportunity to see some geologically and aesthetically beautiful places.
University Open Days, tours and events
Thinking about joining us? Book your spot at one of our upcoming Open Days.
Explore our island city and its many attractions, and find out what student life is really like at the University.
Find an undergraduate or postgraduate degree course that suits you at Portsmouth.