Covid information for students

Student wearing a mask

How we're keeping student life fun, safe and rewarding

Find out what to expect if you're joining us in 2021/22

If you're applying to join us to study in 2021/22, here's how you'll be taught and what life on campus will be like.

Find out more about what your studies and student life will look like - including how we've adapted to the pandemic to ensure you'll still get the same level of outstanding teaching, support and guidance. You can also explore our frequently asked questions below if you can't find what you're looking for here.


There's more details about Covid measures on our current students' website MyPort:

Frequently Asked Questions

University vaccination clinics

We encourage all students to take up vaccination against Covid-19 provided by the NHS. This includes international students - anybody aged 18 or over in the UK is eligible for the Covid-19 vaccination for free, regardless of their nationality or immigration status.

In the Autumn we're running a series of vaccination clinics on campus for anyone who hasn't had any vaccination, or who needs their second Pfizer jab.

Getting a vaccination through the NHS

If you need a second Moderna or AstraZeneca vaccine, or need different date or appointment times, you can many more appointments are available elsewhere in the city at the St James' Hospital site in Milton, as well as local pharmacies. Find an alternative appointment on the NHS website.

International students

If you're an international student with questions about vaccination or other Covid issues, please check the International Student Frequently Asked Questions.

Face masks

Face masks are now mandatory in all indoor environments from Tuesday 30 November 2021.

This is to ensure that we can complete this part of the academic year while keeping staff and students as safe as possible, in line with Government guidance for Universities and other education providers.

Measures on campus

The following list isn’t exhaustive but provides examples of measures on campus that have remained or changed:

  • Hand sanitisers - these will remain in place and we advise everyone to continue with regular hand washing as well. This remains a good way to help reduce the risk of infections, and not just Covid
    Room and space capacity limits - room capacity limits have been removed wherever possible subject to checks on ventilation. This change also includes the library, IT Open Access area and other social and learning spaces. Our cafes have returned to to normal opening and ways of working
  • Social distancing - social distancing is no longer required
  • One way systems - these have been removed
  • Perspex screens - these will be kept in place 


We're encouraging all students and staff to take up Covid vaccination available to them to help protect them and others around them.

Responding to changing government guidance

Covid hasn't gone away, and there'll be some areas of the University that will continue to have greater measures in place, such as some clinical settings. Importantly we're staying prepared in case we need to reintroduce any Covid measures if Government guidance changes.

However cautiously easing restrictions over the coming months will mean our community can return and enjoy the vibrant campus at the University.

If you don't have symptoms - you can collect or take a lateral flow test at a local test site, or you can order a kit to be delivered to you. We encourage staff and students to take regular Covid tests, ideally twice a week. 

If you have symptoms - you must book a PCR test from the NHS.

Read more on Coronavirus Testing for Students.

Students who are facing financial difficulties can contact our Student Finance team for advice and support. They can help with you application to grants, scholarships and bursaries - including the University Support Fund which gives grants to students in financial hardship that don't need paying back.

If you need to self isolate because you’ve tested positive for Covid, have symptoms, have been contacted through NHS Test and Trace, or have to quarantine after travelling to the UK, we can support you.

We can offer you a free 3 day food parcel and advice on ordering in supplies. Read more about self-isolation support for students

The Res Life Team can offer support in your accommodation, and the Student Wellbeing Service can help if you would like to speak to someone about staying well during isolation

Getting ready for study

Our study skills section can help you prepare for all styles of teaching and learning, especially if you want an introduction to independent online study.

This site uses cookies. Click here to view our cookie policy message.

Accept and close