Childhood, youth studies and education courses
Browse courses by subject
What can you do with a Childhood, Youth Studies or Education degree?
A Childhood, Youth Studies and Education degree is your opportunity to study how young people learn, grow and develop, and the perfect preparation for a teaching career, or for jobs within education psychology, social work and specialist services supporting families.
And whether you have experience in childcare and education or are just starting out, our Childhood, Youth Studies and Education degrees can help you gain the knowledge and expertise you need to play your part in shaping how children and young people make sense of the world.
You'll also learn transferable skills – such as communication and problem-solving – that are highly-sought after across many other industries, and many of our previous students have graduated into related jobs such as personal tutoring and counselling.
4 reasons to study Childhood, Youth Studies and Education with us
- We've been training teachers for decades through some of the best rated courses in the country. Our Primary route into teacher training is rated 'Outstanding' by Ofsted.
- Depending on the type of teaching you want to get into, we offer different routes to Qualified Teacher Status and courses to suit your situation – whether you're already teaching, just finished college, or want to study alongside your job.
- We work closely with Portsmouth Teaching School Alliance (PTSA) to support School Direct Primary teacher training, both in the city and on the Isle of Wight – with an impressive 100% employment record over the past 5 years.
- We have many links with local schools to help you find a perfect placement or role. Over 90% of our PGCE students become full-time Primary school teachers.
I went on to study for my PGCE and my degree equipped me for this really well. I was lucky enough to go on to land a job teaching Year One in an amazing school!
Undergraduate Childhood, Youth studies and Education courses (2019/20 entry)
- Childhood and Youth Studies BA (Hons)
- Childhood and Youth Studies with Criminology BA (Hons)
- Childhood and Youth Studies with Psychology BA (Hons)
- Early Childhood Studies BA (Hons)
- Early Childhood Studies with Psychology BA (Hons)
- Early Years Care and Education FdA
- Education Studies (Top-up) BA (Hons)
- Further Education and Training CertEd
- Learning Support FdA
Postgraduate Childhood, Youth studies and Education courses (2019/20 entry)
- Early Years Initial Teacher Training GradCert
- Education Studies MA
- Educational Leadership and Management (Distance Learning) (Degree Apprenticeship) MSc
- Educational Leadership and Management MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Further Education and Training PGCE
- Humanities and Social Sciences MRes
- Masters of French Language Double Diploma PGCE
- PGCE courses PGCE
- Education and Sociology MPhil and PhD
Still deciding what to study at university? Search for a degree from our list of subject areas to find the right course for you.
Portsmouth is a great place to live, whatever you decide to study. Hear from recent grads about why Portsmouth is one of the best student cities in the UK.