Browse courses by subject
What can you do with a Law degree?
Law touches on almost every area of society including business, politics and human rights. It affects global trade, international relations and can help protect the environment. Every aspect of day-to-day life is governed by the law – so a degree in Law is always relevant, and worth the investment.
Study Law and you'll tackle the pressing ethical and legal issues facing society. You'll also gain a better understanding of society, culture and the legal system as a whole. A Law degree is the first step to a career in the legal sector and can prepare you for further training as a barrister or solicitor.
The knowledge, experience and skills you'll learn will also prepare you for many other graduate jobs. With your Law degree, you'll be ready to move into a variety of roles in insurance and banking, and into managerial positions across many other industries.
5 reasons to study Law with us
- On all of our courses, you can opt for the CILEx Graduate Fast-track Diploma (Level 6 Diploma in Legal Practice) in your final year, allowing you to qualify as a Chartered Legal Executive lawyer when you get further experience after the course.
- Our law facilities include a mock law court which is a replica of a crown court, complete with dock, witness box, jury room and interview room.
- Join our student law society and take part in negotiation and mooting competitions.
- You can get work experience in our Student-led community legal advice clinic.
- After your second year, you can do a placement year to get experience in the field ahead of graduating. You'll get support in choosing and applying for placements that fit your aspirations, whether you want to work in a legal or non-legal context.
The LLB Law syllabus at the University of Portsmouth really hones in on taking the law and the practical application of it to legal problems – I think learning this skill early on in my studies set me ahead of my peers.
Undergraduate Law courses (2019/20 entry)
- Law LLB (Hons)
- Law with Business LLB (Hons)
- Law with Criminology LLB (Hons)
- Law with International Relations LLB (Hons)
- Counter Fraud and Criminal Justice Studies (Distance Learning) BSc (Hons)
- Crime and Criminology (Distance Learning) BSc (Hons)
- Criminology and Criminal Justice BSc (Hons)
- Criminology and Cybercrime BSc (Hons)
- Criminology and Forensic Studies BSc (Hons)
- Criminology with Psychology BSc (Hons)
- Policing and Investigation (Distance Learning) BSc (Hons)
- Risk and Security Management (Distance Learning) BSc (Hons)
Postgraduate Law courses (2019/20 entry)
- Child Forensic Studies: Psychology and Law MSc
- Corporate Governance and Law/Grad ICSA LLM
- Counter Fraud and Counter Corruption MSc
- Crime Science MSc
- Criminal Justice MSc
- Criminal Psychology MSc
- Criminology MSc
- Cybercrime MSc
- Dispute Resolution LLM/PgCert
- Forensic Accounting MSc
- Forensic Information Technology MSc
- Forensic Psychology MSc
- Forensic Psychology Practice PgDip
- Humanities and Social Sciences MRes
- Intelligence MSc
- International Criminal Justice MSc
- Law LLM
- Policing, Policy and Leadership MSc
- Professional Studies (Learning at Work) MA/MSc
- Science MRes
- Security Management MSc
- Victimology MSc
- Law and Criminology MPhil and PhD
Still deciding what to study at university? Search for a degree from our list of subject areas to find the right course for you.
Portsmouth is a great place to live, whatever you decide to study. Hear from recent grads about why Portsmouth is one of the best student cities in the UK.