MyCareer (MYC), is a free online Jobs Board for employers to promote job opportunities to students and graduates (5 years post-graduation) of the University of Portsmouth. Managed by the Careers and Employability Service, all company registrations and vacancies are reviewed to ensure suitability before publishing.
We accept the following vacancies:
- Graduate level vacancies with an immediate or future start date
- Graduate schemes
- Experienced hire vacancies
- Paid Work experience and internships
- Seasonal vacancies including Summer and Christmas
- Part time vacancies
- Casual vacancies
- International vacancies ( These are reviewed on an individual basis by our International team)
- Graduate Placements (12 month industrial placements are advertised within faculty. Contact the Placement teams for more information).
The Careers and Employability Service reserves the right to refuse to advertise a vacancy that is not in the best interest of our students and graduates, these instances include, but are not limited to:
- Any unpaid vacancies
- Vacancies that are not in compliance with minimum wage and/or equal opportunities legislation
- Commission only or cash in hand payments
- Opportunities which require students or graduates to make any upfront payment
- Recruitment agencies or third party vacancies that do not disclose the role and client name
- Brand Ambassador roles that promote consumer goods
- Apprenticeship vacancies (Find out more about Degree Apprenticeships)
- Opportunities that require students to work in their own home
- If the employer is a private individual
- If the role involves door to door sales or activity
- Self-employed and freelance vacancies
- Vacancies that present a direct risk to the health and wellbeing of students and graduates
- Employers that are associated with the tobacco industry
- Employers that do not include full company name
- Employers that do not supply full contact details – an email address must correspond with the employing organisation
- Employers that do not have a company website
- Vacancies that are not legal, or not in keeping with the policies, goals, aims and objectives of University of Portsmouth
Any advert that does not meet the guidelines will not be approved for posting. We reserve the right to refuse, withdraw or cancel an employer registration or vacancy without giving reason.
Acceptance of Terms and Conditions
By registering your company and advertising your vacancy online, you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions:
1. Employer Registrations
To advertise vacancies employers must first register on MyCareer and create an employer account, the employer is in control of inputting all data.
2. Advertising Vacancies
Please provide clear and full details about the opportunity advertised. If the vacancy is filled before the stated closing date please retract it from MyCareer.
3. Employment Legislation
4. Contract of Employment
Contracts of employment are between the student or graduate and the employer. It is the duty of the employer to comply with all legal obligations with regard to the employment of students and graduates.
5. University of Portsmouth Liability
The University of Portsmouth accepts no liability in relation to the introduction and subsequent employment of candidates for employment via MyCareer. The University shall bear no liability for loss, damage or delay whatsoever arising in the performance of these services and in particular caused by circumstances beyond its control (of whatsoever kind).
The employer shall independently satisfy themselves as to the suitability of any employee and shall be responsible for taking up any references and appropriate checks for the applicant should they so wish before engaging the student or graduate.
6. Freelance Roles
We will advertise freelance roles, as long as they meet employment law and payment is aligned to the industry standard rate. Please note we will not advertise commission-based, franchise ownership or other opportunities for which the student is charged, or required to invest.
The Volunteering team within the Careers and Employability Service help local charities and not-for-profit organisations promote skilled volunteering roles, which require regular commitment. To contact the Volunteering team, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. Tier 4 - Sporting Activities
The University has been made aware of some changes to UKVI regulations, that specifically links to students on Tier 4 visas undertaking sports activities. International students studying on a Tier 4 visa are unable to undertake part-time or summer jobs that include any sports coaching duties, guidance to the changes can be found on the UKCISA website.
As noted in the link above, the University of Portsmouth is among the institutions who have raised concerns over the changes and we will update this information if UKVI make any subsequent amendments to the regulations.
Telephone: 02392 843638