BA (Hons) Musical Theatre video submission
How to prepare a video submission for your course application process.
Please record yourself answering the following questions, along with the performance of a musical theatre song (16 bars) and upload your video to YouTube or Vimeo so that we can get to know you better in considering your application to join one of our courses.
Keep in mind that there are no ‘right’ answers; we just want to get a sense of how you think and feel about theatre.
- Why have you chosen to study musical theatre?
- Why are you interested in studying the subject with us at the University of Portsmouth?
- Tell us about a recent theatrical production you have seen and how this has influenced you. Try and discuss with us the various components that make up a production (such as set design and performances among others) and how they have affected the way an audience views and interprets the production.
- Both the theatre industry, and employers at large, appreciate graduates with practical and theoretical skills. With this is mind, if you were to write an academic essay about the theatrical production you talked about in Question 3, what would the main theme of discussion be within your essay and why?
Please perform a short excerpt (16 bars) of a musical theatre song, either accompanied or acapella – whichever you are more comfortable with. Please select a song from one of the following musical theatre composers as your choice:
- Stephen Sondheim
- Georgia Stitt
- Kait Kerrigan and Brian Lowdermilk
- Paul Sirrett and Paul Joseph
- Jason Robert Brown
- Andrew Lloyd Webber
- Jeanine Tesori
Submit your vlog
Once you've recorded your video, please email the link along with your application ID and your name to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The production value of the video need not be of professional standard – but you need to ensure that the video resolution is high enough to be viewed on a PC, and the sound quality is of a suitable standard. The video should be no longer than 10 minutes.
Please remember to take your time and relax. We are looking for detailed answers to your questions rather than speedy replies.