Geography and environmental science courses
Browse courses by subject
What can you do with a Geography or Environmental Sciences degree?
Geography and Environmental Sciences involves exploring the planet's scientific processes and physical structures, and studying our impact on the world.
An undergraduate or postgraduate qualification in this area could prepare you for a career as an urban planner, environmental consultant, geographical information scientist, sustainability specialist, or for a role in conservation or wildlife protection.
No.1 university in the UK for graduate salary boost (The Economist, 2017)
Top 30 in the UK for student satisfaction (National Student Survey (NSS) 2020)
5 reasons to study Geography and Environmental Science with us
- Our location on the south coast of England means you have many opportunities for field work in places like the Isle of Wight and the Jurassic Coast.
- Several of our courses include a European residential field class. Previous students have gone to Lapland, Berlin, Barcelona, Malta and Sicily.
- Broaden your horizons at lectures given by guest speakers from public, private and non-profit sectors.
- Depending on your course, you could do a placement year to gain valuable work experience. Previous students have worked for the Environment Agency, Natural England, the Ordnance Survey, Dover Port Authority and the Solent Forum.
- Our facilities include Geographical Information System (GIS) and photogrammetry labs, laser survey technology, photogrammetry equipment, an environmental simulation cabinet and equipment for testing natural waters and materials.
Students and staff at the School of Environment, Geography and Geosciences talk about the outstanding field trips to Finland, Uganda and many more at the University of Portsmouth.
Over the next 50 to 100 years we’re going to see significant changes in our climate. BSc (Hons) Geography is all about understanding those changes but also understanding the solutions. At the University of Portsmouth, there are options to go on many field trips. Our field trip to the Isle of Wight was to collect evidence so we could write up a report. In third year we went to Finland to study microclimates and how they change. We do one field trip with BSc (Hons) Geography to arctic Finland. This is a hard, challenging environment to work. You get to put theory into practice. You have to learn team skills, you’ve got to learn how to support yourself, support others and it’s not just about building your intellectual knowledge, it’s about building your character. I’m a lot more confident, more logical and more organised. The University of Portsmouth helped me excel myself and take myself into the real world.
The geography course was really enjoyable, and offered everything that I'm interested in. The staff were always willing to give up their time to help you -- and thanks to them, I was able to join Transport for London's grad scheme. And in just a year, I've found that three of the modules I did in my final year have come in handy!
Undergraduate Geography and Environmental Science courses
- Environmental Science BSc (Hons)
- Geography BA (Hons)
- Geography BSc (Hons)
- Marine Environmental Science BSc (Hons)
- Engineering Geology and Geotechnics BEng (Hons)
- Geology BSc (Hons)
- Palaeontology BSc (Hons)
- Applied Science (Learning at Work) BA (Hons)/BSc (Hons)
- International Development and Languages BA (Hons)
- International Development BA (Hons)
- Maritime Studies (Learning at Work) BA (Hons)/BSc (Hons)
- Professional Studies (Learning at Work) BA (Hons)/BSc (Hons)
Postgraduate Geography and Environmental Science courses
- Applied Science (Learning at Work) MA/MSc
- Civil Engineering with Environmental Engineering MSc
- Coastal and Marine Resource Management MSc
- Crisis and Disaster Management MSc
- Engineering Geology MSc
- Environmental Geology and Contamination MSc
- Geographical Information Systems MSc
- Geological and Environmental Hazards MSc
- Maritime Studies (Learning at Work) MSc
- PGCE courses PGCE
- Professional Studies (Learning at Work) MA/MSc
- Science MRes
- Earth and Environmental Sciences MPhil and PhD
Find out how you can discover the city, the University and our campus at one of our Open Days and Open Evenings.
Explore our island city and its many attractions, and find out what student life is really like at the University.