Browse courses by subject
Psychology is about understanding the mind scientifically. Psychologists study the mental processes, brain and behaviour of humans and other animals to understand what motivate them, why they behave the way they do, and how they interact with others.
The field of psychology is broad, covering areas such as natural and life sciences, social sciences, humanities, criminology, animal cognition and philosophy.
With a psychology degree, you can work in areas including psychology, social work, counselling, police, prison and probation services, market research and health associated professions.
Why study Psychology?
- We have specialist psychology equipment and facilities including observation suites and laboratories for psychophysiology, biomarkers and olfaction, eye-tracking, motion capture and virtual reality.
- Our staff actively conduct research in areas such as animal cognition, autism, forensic psychology, health and wellbeing, and contribute the knowledge gained through their research to your course.
- As part of the course, you can choose from different work and study abroad placement options to get valuable experience and develop new skills. We will help you find a placement that matches your career ambitions.
- Our placement and research-based learning options allow you to earn credits towards your degree for the work, volunteer and research placements you do alongside your study.
Psychology is a part of everyday life and studying this course has really helped me understand the young people I work with, and why certain behaviours may be happening.
Our psychology courses are accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS), the representative body for psychology and psychologists in the UK. Taking an accredited course means you'll get up-to-date knowledge and skills, and a qualification that's recognised in the profession.
Undergraduate Psychology courses (2019/20 entry)
Postgraduate Psychology courses (2019/20 entry)
- Child Forensic Studies: Psychology and Law MSc
- Criminal Psychology MSc
- Forensic Psychology MSc
- Forensic Psychology Practice PgDip
- Health Psychology MSc
- Professional Studies (Learning at Work) MA/MSc
- Psychology and Learning Disability MSc
- Science MRes
- Sport and Exercise Psychology MSc
- Psychology MPhil and PhD
Still deciding what to study at university? Search for a degree from our list of subject areas to find the right course for you.
Portsmouth is a great place to live, whatever you decide to study. Hear from recent grads about why Portsmouth is one of the best student cities in the UK.