Proud supporters of LGBTQ+
We're committed to improving the representation, progression and success of our LGBTQ+ staff and students
We understand the importance of studying, working and living in a culture of inclusivity and acceptance, so you can thrive without barriers.
As a Stonewall Diversity Champion, we're dedicated to creating an inclusive workplace for all LGBTQ+ staff and extending the same values to all our students. We also sponsor Portsmouth Pride and the annual LGBTQ+ Film Festival run by Portsmouth Film Society.
Find out about the LGBTQ+ support, resources and activities available at the University, how we support the local community, links to local LGBTQ+ support services and groups, and read our reports and policies on equality and diversity, gender identity and expression, and dignity and respect.
LGBTQ+ support and resources at the University
LGBT+ student society
Equality and Diversity Moodle resources
LGBTQ+ careers support
Student Wellbeing Service
LGBTQ staff network
University library LGBTQ+ blog
Staff and student training
All students and staff can do the transgender e-learning package to better understand how to support gender diverse people. The package is provided by the Gender Identity Research & Education Society (GIRES).
We also provide Transgender Awareness training for staff as part of our learning and development training programme.
As part of our probationary training, all our staff are required to take part in the following equality and diversity training:
- Diversity and inclusion in Higher Education
- Unconscious bias awareness
- Anti-bullying and harassment
Supporting the local community
Pride LGBTQ+ Film Festival
As a University, we share Portsmouth Pride’s ethos of valuing equality and diversity. I’m delighted we can support a local event that showcases this ethos in our city and provides an opportunity for people to come together to celebrate, not only LGBTQ+ equality but respect and inclusion across all our communities.
Portsmouth Pride 2019
We are proud sponsors of Portsmouth's annual Pride festival
Local LGBT+ groups and support services
As a student, you'll always have the support of our Student Wellbeing Service, who can give you free, confidential support and signpost you to these services in the local area, which are also available to staff:
- Breakout Youth – Hampshire and the Isle of Wight's Local LGBTQ+ support charity
- Chrysalis – a charity supporting transgender, non-binary and questioning people, their families and close friends
- Hampshire LGBT+ Alliance – an alliance of Hampshire-based LBGT+ Networks
- Isle of Wight Pride – annual Pride festival on the Isle of Wight
- Portsmouth City Council LGBTQ Team – email them at firstname.lastname@example.org for support as you explore your gender identity and/or sexuality
- Y Services – projects and one-to-one support in Fareham, Gosport, Havant and Winchester
Equality and Diversity Policy Statement
Gender Identity and Expression Policy
Dignity and Respect Policy
Reporting hate crime
Our Dignity and Respect policy asks all students and staff to take personal responsibility for reporting:
- any incidents where dignity and respect is not demonstrated
- incidents of bullying and harassment
- any form of discrimination that they are aware of
Report and Support tool
Staff and students can use the Report and Support tool to submit an anonymous report of bullying, harassment, assault or a hate crime, or an informal report to request an adviser.
If you witness or experience any experience of harassment, bullying, violence or discrimination at Portsmouth, you can submit an anonymous report or an informal report to request an adviser. We also have a formal complaints procedure for all staff and students.
Be a part of our community
If you're looking for a new community to call home, whether to further your studies or start a new role, find the perfect course or job with us.
Portsmouth Pride image by Goble Photography.